Thursday, July 10, 2008

Telling each other a story...

Hi you all,

Here's my mini-story (and my side patio) for you:




I'm really looking forward to hearing yours!

And if I did this correctly, here's ril's - which I am damn well dying to hear but won't be able to hear until I'm home later...

76 comments:

McKoala said...

Heh, heh I'm glad to see you're getting that Thursday feeling on a Wednesday. It's already Thursday here, so mine is going up right now.

You sound very soft and relaxed this time, although maybe speaking a little fast? The long sentences that you write must be hard to read, though!

Natalie Whipple said...

Lovely, you sound much less nervous:) I like the way you sound.

Mine will be up early morning for me. Still Wednesday here.

PJD said...

The video is still processing, but I've posted the youtube to my site here: http://cornerkick.blogspot.com/2008/07/watch-author-again.html

I will make the rounds in the next couple of days. My work group has a "team building" event which happens to be at the same time and location as the Mariners at the A's on Thursday.

JaneyV said...

Yeay - I'm glad you're all doing this and I will go round and listen to you all even though I'm too chicken to do one myself.

Robin, as before you have a wonderful voice, full of warmth. Your story has me hooked too - what happened to Lydia? More! More!

Whirlochre said...

My internet connection is behaving temperamentally at the moment, so your voice keeps breaking up like a rapping astronaut, so my only comment for now is great patio.

I'll be back later when things have settled down.

I'm up.

fairyhedgehog said...

You have such a relaxed, friendly sounding voice that I find it hard to focus on the content of what you're saying.

Mine's up.

Robin S. said...

Hey McK,

Yeah, I was trying to figure out how to set this to publish just after midnight on the 10th (Eastern time) so the Brits would have it when they woke up and could post notes when theirs were up. I asked EE for some help- and he gave it to me - but I'd already messed up just before 11:00 pm, so I thought, what the hell, and left it on! I'm such a techie.

And Janey - thanks a lot- Lydia's in my novel - I'm glad you liked it.

I can't wait to hear you all!

Robin S. said...

P.S. I gotta go to work now- I'll be runnng around as soon as I can get home, listening and enjoying.

Whirlochre said...

What's striking about this is the momentum. It's lines of text, punctuated, no doubt, by full stops, commas and so on, but it has the quality of thoughts occurring in one's head — a rolling on of linked events rather than a clipped and punctuated summation of the sensible.

Great stuff — now I can look forward to a whole afternoon of reconnecting my jaw.

Natalie Whipple said...

Ril's is great too! Can't wait to check around today.

Mine's officially up.

Kiersten White said...

Robin, I love your voice. And your writing. Both wonderful.

And Ril, wow. The pictures and everything! Absolutely delightful. And now you've morphed into Ringo from Help! in my mind.

Now I'm panicking...I have nothing to read.

ril said...

Robin's is wonderful. That's such a great, sultry accent. Now that I can connect the physical voice with the written voice, it brings her written words alive too. Great!

PJD said...

Well done, Robin. I do like listening to your voice, and it gives a bit of additional color to your story, which had a definite exhausted grittiness about it.

Ril--hilarious and yet horrific. You have captured what I imagine to be the British condition perfectly.

Can't wait to see/hear all the others. What fun, Robin. Thanks for whipping us all into doing this.

Whirlochre said...

Ril

This is joyously understated wit at its best. Tea! Custard creams! Rhododendrons! Bladders! Shrubbery! Curtain Nets! What fun.

Can't place your accent, though I'm guessing Lancashire/Shropshire, with a hint of Hokkaido.

fairyhedgehog said...

Ril: that was funny but so fast! I didn't dare laugh in case I missed something.

Kiersten White said...

Okay, it only took me TWO HOURS but I'm up.

Stacy said...

Mine's up. Will listen to others after I eat.

JaneyV said...

Ril - nice to hear you mate. I liked your story very much (was he a double glazing salesman?) - and I feel for the poor guy with three cups of tea pressing down on his bladder and no relief in sight. As an enthusiastic tea-drinker myself, I have learned it is always wise to work out your pee-breaks in advance if you're going to be out!!! There was a bit of distortion on the track (or my speakers were playing up) so I couldn't quite place your accent either but I'm thinking North West of England with a bit of softening from living abroad!?

Stacy said...

Lovely, Robin. You have a really nice voice. I want to hear more about Lydia.

I had a little trouble with ril's, but I think that was just my computer playing catch-up. Going to try again. Ril, you also have a really nice voice! Loved the little video we got, too.

Sylvia said...

It's half-past ten and we have guests but dinner is done and they are drinking wine so I snuck away to finish this off.

I couldn't find any editing software nor even a way to get rid of the video and only have the sound and my son says it sounds NOTHING like me except the hollering bit, although I'd say that's the only bit that sounds like me.

So I just posted it anyway, I have no idea if it worked. But I have people waiting on me so I can't hang around messing, let alone listen to the others. :(

I'll be around and listening tomorrow! Meanwhile, I've linked back to here on my post for other voices. If you do a separate collection post, just say so and I'll link to that.

http://backspace.blog.me.uk/voice

Sylvia said...

Argh. I can make links, honest.

Sylvia's voice

McKoala said...

Ril! Vintage. Love the pix; much giggling here.

Sylvia, LOL. Yes, we are much more important than a dinner party!

Working, but I'll sneak off and listen to the rest at appropriate moments. This is such a good idea.

Robin S. said...

Wow, you all are great!

I raced home from work- headed straight to my laptop, and started listening all around, and it was amazing.

Then, I spent the last two hours racing around like a fool getting ready to fly to NYC tomorrow for a nice long weekend - and you know how that goes- to get away- you have to pay - and the payment is - all the prep and pet care and oh-Blondster-now-which-friend-are-you-staying-with-bla blah blah and the grocery for her and oh yeah she needs cash and I need a load of laundry done and a pair of shoes ...

And where is JB? Try Venice- and it's NOT the one in California. He called me from St. Mark's Square earlier. I tried to sound all happy for him. I really did!

Anyway - he's meeting me in Manhattan tomorrow afternoon - I'll already be there.

So - now I'm finally home and relaxed and gonna go listen to Sylvia and THEN...ril. Finally.

Also- Julie - are you still coming, girl?

Back shortly...

Robin S. said...

Oh ril, I'm laughing out loud like a loon right now. Discrete leak, indeed.

I waited and waited and waited to hear this - and it was well worth it - both the hearing and the seeing.

Love that voice and accent of yours - you're one of the few people we both know through these blogs that sounds just about exactly like I thought you would.
In fact, I think you're the only one! And I love it. Did I mention that?

By the way, ril, if you haven't had a chance to go listen to Sylvia- you've missed out. She's got a comment thing to click on- you have to click on the thing that says "3 comments" or however many there are now...

ril said...

I'm at work, so I'm waiting for lunch break (1 hour to go!) so I can put in the headphones and go on a listenting tour...

Robin S. said...

Well, you'll have a really good time, is all I know.

pacatrue said...

It's been fun hearing everyone. Mine's up now as well.

pacatrue said...

And robin, you still sound very different than I expected. I think you sound rather serious here, and I think of you as more mischievous.

Fun to hear you for the first time, ril.

Julie Weathers said...

http://julie-weathers.blogspot.com/

No idea how to make a link but Boy Child got it posted on my blog.

Robin S. said...

Hey paca,

I'm so glad you had time to do this! Hope your studies are going along well for you.

And Julie,

I thought maybe you'd backed out- and I'm happy you didn't!

Going now to listen to both...

Julie Weathers said...

Oh, Robin, I almost did and still might. Ugh. I remember now why Don used to make fun of my voice.

ril said...

What fun! I think I've listened to everyone's now -- I left a comment when I stopped by; I do hope I didn't miss anybody?

I looked for Evil Editor's snippet on his blog, but looks like it's not up yet...

Sylvia said...

I'm hungover today and laughing at all the comments. My boyfriend says to tell you all that I sound "awful" and much more English than I normally do. Note that last night he said it was "fine" so I'm not particularly appreciative of his input at this point.

Robin, I could listen to your voice all day, I think you should do all your fiction as audio books!

I love ril's audio-visual technique although I'm still wincing from the mopped up floor image!

Off to listen to the rest, now!

Robin S. said...

This has been so much fun!

You all are wonderful, and I'm so very glad I know you.

And hey ril,

I would've invited EE, in fact I did ask him before if he'd do his voice for us. He swears he doesn't have a microphone. Go figure.

Evil Editor said...

I DON'T have a microphone. However, Evil Jr. claims to have a crappy one on his laptop, so maybe I can join next time.

I'd tell you who I enjoyed listening to the most, but that would just hurt everyone else's feelings. Besides, I'm too busy playing Fairy Hedgehog's over and over again.

Sarah Laurenson said...

Enjoyed them both, very much!

If I get time today and if I find a microphone on this laptop and if I find something to read... I will actually try to do this.

Have to wander around and do some listening now.

fairyhedgehog said...

It's the English accent - it gets them every time.

I can't wait to hear EE's.

Julie Weathers said...

Ril's is a masterpiece. I am so impressed with all that work.

Chris Eldin said...

OMG!! These are great! Robin, you have the perfect voice for your story. I hope one day it's also available on audio, and you're the narrator!


Ril, a multimedia extravaganza!!! That was hysterical! How can you write so literary, yet so funny? Is that a new genre?
:-)

Chris Eldin said...

If Paca has another goat up....

Sylvia said...

*glares at EE*

Hands off, Fairy Hedgehog is mine!

fairyhedgehog said...

There's plenty to go round, folks! Now, EE you can hold this kitten and Sylvia, you can hold that one. Happy now?

Of course you are. Who could be unhappy while they're cuddling a kitten?

Ello - Ellen Oh said...

Oh wow! I got goosebumps listening to you and Ril! This was so cool. I'm glad I didn't do mine though, my voice sounds horrible recorded. I can't stand the sound of my own voice. But I love listening to everyone else's!

pacatrue said...

It's because Ello's really a man. And 11. "She" doesn't want us to find out. Explains the obsession with bodily noises as well.

Robin S. said...

Hey guys,

This really was so good to do. I'll beg, and I really do mean beg(if he makes me, are you gonna make me?) EE to play along with us next time, so we can hear him.

I just got back in town a few hours ago, and I'll post some pictures, hopefully sometime tonight, from our trip to NYC over the weekend.

Hope all of you had good weekend as well!

Robin S. said...

P.S. Forgot to day- Whirl's on vacation right now, and I'll be gone the first part of August, so...


how about we all have another 'voice fest' on a Thursday in mid-August?

Phoenix Sullivan said...

I am just now getting around to listen to everybody and I find most nobody's talking on any frequency I can hear :o(

Bad, firewall, bad! If it wasn't for the free laptop and the free wireless connection and the free ISP, I might just ditch all this company equipment. But then I'd have to pay to listen to you all. And that's much worse than paying for sex.

But I did get a healthy dose of British through WO and FH. Sorry for not leaving comments at everyone's blog I visited. Started to feel like I was just out for Brownie points - "Hey, I visited, but I couldn't hear you, but I was here. Make note, I was here!"

Evil Editor said...

No need to beg, Evil Jr. assisted me in producing something, so I'm already ready.

Chris Eldin said...

EE's teasing us. It's probably talking clipart.

Robin S. said...

Hi, EE.

I don't suppose you'd like to go ahead and share, would you?

Here? Please?

Oh, yeah. That's right. You said I didn't have to beg. But I'm ready, willing and able to do so...

Kiersten White said...

I think we'd all be willing to beg.

fairyhedgehog said...

Robin, you can do better than just begging, surely?

Robin S. said...

I absolutely can do much better than begging, FH. You're right on target there.

I guess we'll find out today if EE was teasng or not when he said I didn't have to beg...

Evil Editor said...

Okay, here it is. For your eyes only. If it starts getting publicized and linked to etc. I'll have to take it down before anyone recognizes my voice.

voice

Robin S. said...

Oh, baby- I just heard it- thank you so much!!!

Please- everyone keep it quiet, OK?
No chatting anywhere about it - so we can listen.

ril said...

I just managed to listen, grabbed a moment between conference calls. Nice story, awesome delivery.

Your secret is safe with us (Charlie Sheen, right??).

Kiersten White said...

Oh, wow! How fun. Thanks, EE, that made my morning.

I must say, your voice doesn't even kind of match your avatar. It's so much more pleasant and less evil than I imagined. Also younger.

And great delivery, too. Okay, new goal. Let's find something EE's *not* good at.

Robin S. said...

Hey guys- I should have said- we can chat about it here - and I hope you do, because I'm at work and trying to be all Decorum Central, when I'd really like to jump up and down. Which sucks. So if you all can help me jump and down here, that would be great!

So...please, we just can't take it anywhere else, mention it anywhere else in blogging conversations, OK?

Thanks, you all!

Sarah Laurenson said...

So, EE, was that a zombie Mel Blanc you got to VO for you? Thanks for the fun story.

PJD said...

So if you all can help me jump and down here, that would be great!

Happy to. Where do you want me to place my hands for the assist?

EE, thanks for sharing. Great story, particularly the fortune in the cookie at the end. Nice kicker.

Thanks to Phoenix for making the Rounds Of Futility.

Stacy said...

Ooh, I almost missed this. Very pleasant voice, EE. The story was great, too.

PJD said...

By the way, nice soundtrack, too. Very subtle. Anyone know of good movie editing software that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? I would like my own videos to have a soundtrack that sounds less like a noisy dishwasher in the background. Maybe I should turn the whole production thing over to my nine year old.

EE, is your real name Ishmael? Or were you perhaps implying that the yellow-haired maiden was named Ahab, and she was in constant search for... um, never mind.

Robin S. said...

Wow, Pete.

You sound like me. In fact, that's a much better one than I could've come up with so...woo hoo! I believe you just helped me jump up and down, and I thank you for that!!!

Chris Eldin said...

That's really nice. But it wasn't evil or even remotely British. I need to sit down for a while....


(Thanks for sharing!)
:-)

Sylvia said...

LOL Phoenix, I know what you mean. I read a lot more than I comment on but that's because I feel really silly leaving a comment which amounts to "I was here." So I only comment if I actually have something to say. :)

I can't believe Chris Eldin was right - it's talking clipart! I can't listen now. I read the story but I want to know waht the fortune cookie says. I'll be able to listen soon :)

Robin S. said...

Hey Sylvia,

You're right - It's clipart talking with EE's voice.

Just imagine the knee and the hand pictures talking to ya - or the 'face, obscured by flash', picture. (It's on here, on the "Edit Me" post.)

But EE does look awfully hot in his non-clipart khakis and his white shirt, although my guess is, that isn't really him. And I'm actually good with that, as he's sitting with a blonde that isn't me.

fairyhedgehog said...

That's very classy, EE. I love the video, the sound track, the voice and the story. (Did I miss anything out there?) You sound so young and so American. In my head you've always had a much growlier voice.

Thank you so much for sharing this when you value your privacy so highly. It was great.

Kiersten White said...

Growly, exactly, Fairy! That's what I thought he would sound like, too. Instead he just sounds charming.

McKoala said...

Hm, EE, hate to repeat everybody, but, yes, that was a very different voice from the one I expected. You and EE junior did a great job and I loved the story, especially the fortune cookie.

Phoenix, did you miss me on your Rounds of Futility? I did Podbean too. Looks like it's a Brit thing!

pacatrue said...

EE is Charlie Sheen? I had suspected as much.

Robin S. said...

He's got Charlie Sheen's voice when Charlie's in a good mood, I guess - but I think that' smixed in with a little Woody Allenesque of an accent.

And yeah, EE, your voice surprised me, too. I'm trying to remember why, now that I've listened to you, and I think it's because I thought you'd sound more abrupt, more growly, as has been said (and said well). Instead, you sound like a sweetie in the best possible way.

Phoenix Sullivan said...

Hey McK - I heard you! I heard you! PodBean forever!!

Well, I'm just gonna cry. Can't hear EE. Excuse me while I go catch an episode of Two-and-a-Half Men. Or maybe watch Apocalypse Now. I suppose Charlie's the next best thing...

Robin S. said...

Oh, phoenix- you gotta borrow a friend's computer - or even go to the library!!

Stacy said...

Yes, I also expected to hear EE's fingers gloss over his muttonchops and his taking bites of rare steak in between paragraphs.

PJD said...

Phoenix, if you really are a glutton for punishment or dying for something--anything--to do, then you can grab my MPG here:
http://www.peterdudley.com/gallery/2008%20Photos/listen_to_author2.mpg

Let me know if the link does not work. You might be able to right click and save as if the firewall still blocks it.

Phoenix Sullivan said...

Hey, Pete, you're so sweet! I'm responding on your blog.