Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Here's mine. And when your voice posts are ready...

please put a note on here, so we know to come and have a listen.

UPDATE TO UPDATE: (2 more voices up)

Aerin and
Writtenwyrd have added theirs, and the links are in the comments - toward the end of the comment trail. I'll beback to listen when home later - I think this is a first for WW! AND, Aerin has something a bit different going on, so...have at it with these two listens.

FH has hers up, and it's a good one! The link is on the right.
And these are up as well, if you're checking to make sure you've seen them all:

EE (the link is in the comments trail)

And the rest - just go to the links on the right, by name:

freddie
McK
Paca
Pete
Whirl


So that's now ten of us altogether so far for voice posts, and Kiersten has a song up, with a link in the comments trail that leads right to it.

Janey and BT may have posts coming soon, depending on their schedules outside-the-blogs giving them some time...



The Blondster helped me make my YouTube. It worked all right until the last few sentences, and then it stopped, as it were, midstream.

So...here are the last few sentences of what I wrote, in this scene in the middle of my novel. A few of these sentences are on the video, and then it cuts off right before the end.

So, here's the end, so you can finish it when the sound cuts off at just about the end of the first of these last two paragraphs...



...and the growing old out on the coal-filled mountain and the strip mining taking her home away, and her heart giving out with her standing up on a chair, reaching too high, rehanging clean curtains for the retarded cleaning-lady sisters that paid room and board to live upstairs in her Mammy’s house she never wanted to buy but she had to buy because she had no place else she could afford to go.

And I was so glad I’d seen her try and smile at me. Not only my grandmother Willa, but the underneath Willa coming out from her picture right then; the two of us able to say good-bye to one another, and have it touch.


I'm looking forward to hearing yours!

28 comments:

Kiersten White said...

I'm excited to hear it, Robin! As I am battling a nasty head cold, I'll bow out of recording myself right now. I did, however, record a song and post it last week.

Yes, I sang.

No, it's not good. But it's funny. Can we count that as my entry? Here it is:

http://kierstenwrites.blogspot.com/2009/05/punktuations-present.html

McKoala said...

Mine's up! Working today, but will check out the others later.

pacatrue said...

I've just added mine. I will come back to start the listens later tonight or tomorrow morning.

Here you go http://pacatrue.blogspot.com/2009/06/reading-again.html.

pacatrue said...

Robin, I've finally gotten your real voice to match the voice I had imagined in my head before hearing the real one, and THAT was your voice alright, and I mean that in all its ways.

Evil Editor said...

Mine is at http://lottery-loser.blogspot.com/2009/06/voice-xxvii.html.

ril said...

Very nice. Wonderful words, wonderfully read. Makes me ahamed for flaking out on this one...

Whirlochre said...

Et Voila!

Whirlochre said...

I'll check in with everyone else later btw...

PJD said...

I am beat and going to bed now. I can't wait to listen to everyone's on Thursday. Now, mine is up. I decided to read a poem I wrote over a year ago but which I still quite like. I hope you do, too.

Cold and Bitter

JaneyV said...

Robin - this is wonderful. I could listen to you reading the Yellow Pages but what a bonus to hear these beautiful words. Loved it. I will try to get around to hearing everyone's later when I get back from work. Big meeting this morning and I'm not sure how long it goes on for but if I can I'll try get one up later today.

fairyhedgehog said...

This was great. I always like hearing your voice, Robin.

(Oh, and thanks for the plug.)

Robin S. said...

Wow! Woke up this morning to a good present - and I'll be running around listening when I'm home from the office this afternoon.

I'll be back as soon as I can, to come and visit you all, and enjoy listening!

Happy Thursday!

Whirlochre said...

Shame the bit about being exempt from dying didn't quite turn out for old Jim.

Another great atmospheric piece, and I'm sure I saw the cushion shiver as you read it...

PJD said...

Tense and breathless. I love the feeling of immortality that courses through this and the detail you've used. And, I missed hearing your voice. Good to have it back. :)

Blogless Troll said...

Wonderful.

I'm gonna try to get something recorded, but I don't know if I'll have time.

Stacy said...

Mine's up, y'all.

Stacy said...

Wonderful, Robin. I can't wait to read this when it's published.

Robin S. said...

Thanks, you all! I'm running around listening....

Anonymous said...

Muhlenberg County? Mr. Aerin's grandfather was a coal miner, police office, judge and then State Representative and lived his whole life in Muhlenberg County, Kentucky. I'm sure there are more M.C., but that was fun to hear.


Still working on mine; crazy kidling day

writtenwyrdd said...

I finally did this (sort of) and am posting it in a moment. I just read the first paragraph of a novel I have in the works before the microsoft recorder cut me off. Can't figure out how to make it record more than 60 seconds!

And now you all will know the nasal tones of my voice, lol.

writtenwyrdd said...

Oh, and the link: http://writtenwyrdd.typepad.com/writtenwyrdd/2009/06/i-managed-to-figure-out-how-to-use-the-microsoft-recorder-but-it-only-lets-me-record-sixty-seconds-which-is-likely-enough-o.html

McKoala said...

Totally beautiful, Robin.

I just know one day I'll hear that voice over a bottle of chilled white wine in the middle of the table...

Anonymous said...

All right, I threw something together. While you're at that site, you can listen to my sermon, too! (I know, you lucky lucky people. Do keep in mind I'm liberal progressive both politically /and/ theologically). Anyway:

http://www.insearchofgiants.com/2009/06/oral-reading-its-robin-thing.html

Kiersten White said...

Finally am getting a chance to listen to all of these.

Robin, you've really come into your own with reading these out loud. That was lovely. You've got such a low, wonderful voice. I especially liked how it contrasted with the car spinning out of control.

Ello - Ellen Oh said...

I can't do it! I have a terrible voice and I would feel so self conscious - especially after hearing yours and others beautiful readings. I sound like a hoarse Smurf.

fairyhedgehog said...

Ello: hoarse Smurfs are good! Trust me.

I'd love to hear you read.

Robin B. said...

So would I, Ell!

Anonymous said...

me three, me three, Ello!