1. Been in Indiana on a business trip for a couple of days, and got back in a few hours ago. The pace of life is SO very different there, and that's not a bad or a good thing, but only an observation. I stayed at a Hyatt in downtown Indianapolis that had been built in the mid-1970s, which just happened to be the age of the other Hyatt I was in quite a bit, back in the day, for drinks in their excellent (then) bar, in Louisville. I actually had one of those hey baby it's deja vu all over again feelings the whole time I was in that place, and it weirded me out a bit.
2.I wasn't kidding when I said I was drilling down with my writing; started sending out flash pieces in mid-August, and I had results in the form of a story published in the Pittsburgh Flash Fiction Gazette (most of you guys saw this on EE's and thanks for the notes!) which made my freaking day. A couple of days ago, I was told I had another piece accepted, this time for the October issue of the Wilderness House Literary review. I'm relieved this is happening. Relieved may be an odd way to put it, but truly, relieved is how I feel. Like I said a few weeks ago, I'm getting quite serious about this whole process, and I'm working to move it forward. Both of these are direct excerpts from my novel, so yep, I'm happily relieved that total strangers like what I write.
3. Thought you might wanna see some summer 2009 pics of my older baby girl, Robin Jr. (She actually friended me on Facebook. I thought I'd pass out!) Robin Jr. is working on her degree in Illustration, she loves her friends and her lifestyle where she is, and I love that she loves it, since I love her so much. 
(RJ's the one in the middle, if ya can't tell....)
(RJ's on the left)
4. I wish August hadn't ended yet.
5. How are you all?
Wednesday, September 2, 2009
Miscellany...and pics of Robin Jr.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
I hadn't seen the publishing credits. CONGRATS!!!! So very very happy for you.
Sorry to have missed you in Indiana, but here's hoping you'll make it to Chicago this year.
Glad to hear you're being snapped up.
As for August, it does seem to have ended with a grey & drizzly whimper over here, but I'm sure September will be fun. Looks like Robin Jr is guaranteed a fun time.
*gasp* She friended you! You must be like the uber coolest mom of all time.
You know how I am :-). Still waiting...
Hi there. I've been stuck in a getting ready for all things 'school' funk. Of course as I work in a school too - this involves mourning the loss of summer and the time to write. But hey - I also have taken the time to butt kick myself into realising just how much luckier I am than most people and just get on with it. I have a tendency to put obstacles in my own way - guess it's a fear of failing thing.
But WOO!HOO!YOU! how fantastic is that, that you are full steam ahead getting out there and getting publishing credits. Congratulations. I wouldn't have the first clue about how and where to submit flash fiction and short stories. Good on ya! I really ought to start checking out ol' EE - might learn something.
As I write my littlies are starting to get ready for first day back at school. Both boys are back today and they are both really happy about it. I can't imagine how September will feel in 4 years time when Big Son will be off to University or on some life adventure. I understand your mourning now. Having RJ so far away must be hard. Those are great pictures.
Gotta haul my ass out of bed now and get myself ready for work. Onwards and upwards.
Lovely pictures!
And congrats on having two stories accepted now. That has to look good on a query letter.
Congrats on the stories.
Cool pics of Robin Jr. I like the first one where they're imprisoned in the Phantom Zone. Or is that a mirror? I can never tell.
August could take September with it and I wouldn't mind.
Congratulations on the publications! Great news.
1. Yeah, when I visit Corporate HQ in upstate NY, I have to set my watch back 50 freaking years.
2. Awesome. Getting stuff published -- that's what real writers do!
3. Awesome pictures, and so great that she looks on course for a creative career!
4. It ended here first!
5. I'm laying low, feeling guilty, 'cause I flaked out on the voice post thing...
Thanks, Stacy! And if there's any way I can finagle a trip to or through Chicago, I'm gonna do it. In warm weather, though, if at all possible!
Hey Whirl, It's taken me three years to be snapped up - I think it's this newfound drive to make it happen. That, and writing for three solid years, and not falling back on the 'well I used to write so I must still know how' crap that got me through the first recent-writing year or so!
Yeah, McK. I think I'm not uber cool as much as she was tired of me saying 'did ya get that email I sent...well, did ya?' kind of thing. I'm told I can send her messages on her Facebook, but no wall writing. Apparently that would be close to criminal.
Hey Janey, I saw on your blog that the whole school thing is starting up - me, too - Blondster starts her senior (last) year of high school next Tuesday. Good Lord - I know it's not nice or smart to wish your life away, or anyone else's for that matter, but still, I'm hoping for either a flash-fast school year, or a mainly serene one. With three in your household schooling it, I can only say 'here's to seeing you on the other side!' Been there with two. I'm still amazed we all survived it, honey.
Thanks, FH. Have a wonderful vacation and take pictures, please!
Thanks, BT. I'm finally getting something done in storyland. I was so frustrated - now I feel better, but still, there's a lot to do, ya know?
And yeah, Robin Jr. liked the looking-glass idea - she bores easily, so she'd love the idea of falling into some other world for a while. Ah, to be twenty-one again...
Thanks, Pete! I read your note about the fundraising totals by the way - sounds wonderful! Of all years we need that generosity, this is it, huh?
Hey ril, You're alive!! Just kidding - but (#5) nobody was mad about the voice thing, although we did miss your voice, mightily.
(#2) Thanks! I've really stepped it up; no more whining around. Well, there's still whining, but I like to think of it as constructive whining, now that I not only have a plan of action, but am actually (mainly) following it, and making some good contacts along the way. I had to decide whether to keep slogging through the edits, or try like hell to get some pieces out inot the world to validate my work that I could mention in query letters, etc. (Glad this part worked out, or I'd have felt supremely stupid.)
Hope you're writing as well?
(#3) Yep- I want the girls to be able to do something in an area they're passionate about - stay motivated to make that happen. We'll see...
Post a Comment